Configure File Sharing using File Explorer and using LAN
Sharing Files using File Explorer
This method allows for greater flexibility, as it is not limited to new PCs: Shared files and folders using this method will be accessible to devices on your local network. This means that you can share a folder of pictures, for example, and view them on a Mac, or even an Android tablet, as long as they are connected to the same network. Here are the steps.
- Go to Control Panel then Network and Sharing Center
- Then go to Change Advanced Sharing Settings > All Network > Password Protected Sharing
- Then change the Turn Off password-protected sharing button
- Then click Save changes.
- Use File Explorer (located on the taskbar) to navigate to the item you want to share.
- Right click on the item you want to share or share
- In the Properties window, click the Sharing tab.
- Locate and click on the Advanced Sharing button.
- At the top, check the box that says Share This Folder
- At the bottom you will see a few tick boxes that Allow or Deny sharing access for the user.
- Check the box under the word Allowed, then click the OK button to grant all permissions.
Configure File Sharing using LAN
LAN cable itself consists of Straight, Cross and Roll-over cables. These three cables have their respective functions and uses, to share files and folders to other computers or to share files to a printer, you can use a Straight cable.
To transfer files, you need to create a LAN network first before you can share files to several PCs at once. You can combine the three cables according to their respective functions. In addition, if the network consists of 3 or more computers, you also need a HUB or Switch as a connecting medium.
- Open Control Panel
- Navigate to Network and Internet then Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left menu, select the option Change adapter settings
- Right-click on one of the network adapters that you are using (whether it’s a WiFi or Ethernet connection). Then click Properties.
- Double click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) option
- Make settings like the following picture
- Next, please open a second computer/laptop, then do the same way as before, while for the settings on TCP/IPv4, we can set it like the following picture
- Please enter again into the network and sharing center, then click change advance sharing settings.
- Make the following settings.
- After that click Save Changes. Do this step on both computers
After you have finished setting up the file sharing configuration, then prepare the folder you want to share. As an example, here I want to share files from computer one to computer two. Please open computer one and then follow this method.
- Right-click on the desired folder and then click Properties
- Go to the Sharing tab then click share
- In the menu column select Everyone then click add
- If so, change the sharing rules to Read/Write then click Share
After the sharing settings from computer one have been set, now computer two can access the folder shared by computer one earlier. Here’s how to access it.
- On the first computer, click the Windows key + R then type the second computer’s IP //192.168.1.2 then click ok
- Then a new window will appear, where the shared folder from one computer has been detected there.
- After that, we can just copy the folder to the desired location.